Specno has been able to grow to the point that it has now because we’ve been very strict in documenting the processes that we follow. This allows for a way more scalable way of passing information down, tackling problems, and solving issues.
1. It ensures consistency - too often there are too many sources of truth. Two people doing the same process slightly differently which leads to them teaching it differently - slowly but surely different processes slip into the way that we do things which leads to no consistency in the way that we tackle problems. Having that single source of truth ensures that the process stays the same. Consistency also leads to reducing the risk of mistakes slipping in.
2. It maximise efficiency as processes make things that we need to do much more autonomous - every time you have a process you know how to tackle an issue or meeting - the person who created it does not have to repeat it every time
3. Documented processes ensure that the process knowledge is not lost in the absence of the specific employee
4. It reduces operational costs as it decreases the number of man-hours needed
5. Onboarding or training an employee becomes much easier
At Specno we started with using Google docs and then branched into using Google Classroom which has provided to be an excellent tool for onboarding new members.
At the moment we have moved on to using Notion to get even more benefit out of documenting specifically for our company wiki.
The specific platform you use isn’t necessarily important, it is rather important to have all of your information in one place.
We recommend finding a single tool that you use and keeping everything on that single tool - otherwise, it gets messy and you can’t find a doc easily which means you’re creating barriers to accessing those processes.
A process pretty much comes up when it is needed - whenever there is a fire to put out or a challenge to overcome.
…and there you have it!
All the best with documenting your processes!
Get on top of your product's profitability with an in-depth look at optimising your app conversion rate and see the 8 instant business benefits of a UX audit. Also see what to expect during the UX audit process.